We’re so excited that interested in joining one of our communities! Our approach to welcoming new members into our community is one of mutual discernment rather than an application – we want to work with you to figure out whether it’s a good fit or not.
The discernment process is not quick: you should start the process at least 60-90 before you hope to move.
This is how it goes:
- Have a conversation with our director, Isaac Everett, to talk about the mission of Creche, the communities we’re trying to build, what life in a Creche House is like, and see if it sounds like what you’re looking for.
- Visit the sponsoring congregation of the house to which you’re applying and meet informally with the housemates and steering committee (which we call a “steering wheel”).
- Fill out a written application. You can find it here.
- After we’ve received your written application, we’ll review it. If we want to move forward, we’ll send you an invitation for a second visit.
- The second visit is at the house, meeting with one or two of the housemates to see the space and ask any questions you might have.
- After that, we’ll set up a formal conversation between you, the housemates, and the steering committee and explore whether this is a life to which you are called.
- After the visit, we’ll confer among ourselves and reach back out to you – if you and we are all at a “yes,” we’ll invite you to move in and begin a postulancy year.
- During that first year, we’ll touch base periodically to accompany you as you grow into the house’s vocation, and toward the end we’ll reassemble to see if it feels like a long term commitment is right.